• Get help from a trusted friend or a member of staff at the venue; many venues in Durham now have trained welfare staff.
  • Seek medical advice. If seriously unwell, someone you trust should take you to your nearest A&E department; otherwise call 111 or consult your GP. If you suspect spiking by injection seek testing for infections such as hepatitis and HIV. A&E do not offer toxicology tests and will only perform tests for drugs when it is necessary to determine medical treatment.
  • Report to the Police. Call 999 if at risk or 101 if in a place of safety. Police can test blood, urine, hair, drinks and vomit for drugs. The Durham Police offer rapid result urine tests.  Some drugs leave the body in a very short time (within 12 hours), so it is important to test as soon as possible. Other drugs remain in the body longer, so testing will still be considered up to five days after an incident (increasing to seven for some drugs).
  • Go to a safe place.  The Hub at St Nicholas’ Church in Durham Market Place is open  on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday evenings 8pm until 3am. The facility is staffed by support workers who can provide assistance, or simply offer a safe place for people to wait for friends or the police if a crime has taken place. Rapid testing for drugs is also available.
  • Get safe transport. The SU 'Night-Cab' scheme provides a safe and secure way for students to get home or travel to A&E. The Night-Cab operates within a 2-mile radius of Durham City Centre, and costs just £2. There is no fixed timetable and, just like a normal taxi service, you can arrange to be picked up by calling the service on 07922 648802.
  • Get help from the Drug and Alcohol Recovery Service. If you believe you have been spiked you can contact the Drug and Alcohol Recovery Service in Durham.  This is a non-judgemental, free and confidential service that will provide you with rapid testing, information and advice. You can go along with someone that you trust, such as a friend. Services operate Monday to Friday between the hours of 9am and 5pm. Email: cddars.uni@humankindcharity.org.uk or Phone: 03000 266 666. 
  • Report to the University through the Report + Support tool to access support from College Student Support Office staff and specialist services. The University will then contact you to discuss your report and supporting options further before taking any action. 
  • If you have been subjected to rape or sexual assault (or other forms of sexual violence), you have additional reporting and support options available to you. The North East SARC Support Service offers advice, support, counselling, sexual health screening referrals, confidential forensic medical examination and the support of an Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA). You can approach them in confidence, whether or not you wish to make a formal report to the Police or University. To request an appointment call 03333 44 8283 or visit https://sarc-support.uk/ 
  • Additional information on reporting and support options can be found at https://www.dur.ac.uk/sexualviolence/getsupport/ or through the Report + Support tool. Specialist case managers are available to speak with you.



There are two ways you can tell us what happened