If you think you or someone you know has experienced a hate incident, there is a variety of support options available to students and staff. 


Support at Durham University

(Note: Please click on the headings for further information)

Internal Support for Students and Staff

We have a network of bullying and harassment support advisors that can assist staff and students with enquiries and can answer questions on University policies and sources of help and support. They act as a first point of contact for those who feel they have experienced a hate incident.

We have a team of trained and experienced practitioners who are available all year round to registered students via self-referral and to staff members via a referral from Occupational Health. Our counsellors can offer time-limited individual sessions to help you develop insight into your thoughts and feelings, and help build the skills to manage your wellbeing and make changes in your life.

Chaplains are an integral part of the welfare provision and pastoral support that the University offers both to staff and students. Chaplains at Durham are either based in Colleges where their care is for all members of College, or they work across the University where the Chaplain usually represents a particular denomination or faith community (though they are still available to everyone).


Internal Support for Students

Support for students is available from all colleges. The college support officers can be approached by students for general guidance on what to do if they have experienced a hate incident. 

Independent support is also available to students through the Help and Advice Service at the Students’ Union. 

Nightline is a student-run, non-directive, non-advisory listening service open every night of term between 21:00 and 07:00. It enables students to talk to another student confidentially. Their contact number (0191 334 6444) along with other emergency contacts can be found at the back of Durham University campus cards.


Internal Support for Staff

Line managers

A staff member’s line manager has a neutral role to listen and to suggest a possible way forward. They can also advise you of procedures, both informal and formal and provide you with a copy of the policy and procedures.

The University has a team of Human Resource (HR) Business Partners and Advisors who can talk through the University’s procedures, how to make a report and what other support options are available, in confidence.

The Occupational Health Service is part of the University’s Human Resources team. Occupational health advisers maintain an autonomous role within the University and provide an accessible, confidential service for all staff.


External Support 

They provide free, confidential and independent advice from over 3,000 locations. Advice is available face-to-face and by telephone. Durham Citizens Advice also act as a Third Party Reporting Centre and can work with other local organisations to make sure victims get all the help they need.

They are a UK-based charity dedicated to improving the wellbeing and mental health of workers in Further and Higher Education. They offer free, confidential help and support.

The EASS can give information and guidance on discrimination and human rights issues. The service is free and fully accessible by phone (0808 800 0082), email, fax, post, video link for those who wish use BSL and has access to advocacy services for those with mental ill health and people with a learning disability.

They are a confidential and independent charity based within LGBT+ communities. They can help individuals who have experienced homophobia, transphobia or biphobia wherever it occurs.

Hate Crime Advocacy Service (HCAS) 

The Hate Crime Advocacy Service (HCAS) works directly with victims and witnesses of hate crimes and incidents to support them through the process of prosecution. It can also offer help to deal with the crime to which they have been subjected.Victims or witnesses of a hate crime can obtain free, confidential support by email: hcasdurham2017@gmail.com or call 01325 267359.

Jami UK

This organisation guides members of the Jewish community through the challenging journey of navigating mental health services, providing emotional support and expert advice.

They provide further information on adult bullying as well as suggestions on how to deal with bullying.

They can provide support and information if you are having a difficult time, are struggling to cope or if you are worried about someone else. They have a team of volunteers who are available to be contacted any time through their Helpline: 116 123. This number is free to call from both landlines and mobiles, including pay-as-you-go mobiles. You can also email them through: jo@samaritans.org.

Talking changes is a self-help, counselling and talking therapies service designed to help anyone living in the County Durham and Darlington area to help deal with common mental health problems.

Tell MAMA (Measuring Anti-Muslim Attacks) is a secure and reliable service that allows people from across England to report any form of Anti-Muslim abuse. They have created a unique portal where individuals may address their concerns and record any incident that they experience as a result of their Muslim faith or someone perceiving them to be Muslim.

They are a charity that protects British Jews from antisemitism and related threats. They also provide security advice and training for Jewish communal organisations, schools and synagogues.

They are an independent charity in England and Wales that provides specialist practical and emotional support to victims and witnesses of crime. They can be contacted through their Victim Support line: 0808 16 89 111 or by email: supportline@victimsupport.org.uk

Need to contact the Police?

If you are in immediate danger or are seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile). For non-emergency calls, dial 101.  To find out more information about how the Durham Constabulary can support you, please click here.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened