Please be advised that due to changes relating to Covid-19, the Report + Support team are unable to offer face-to-face meetings until further notice. Existing reports will still be monitored; and we shall aim to respond to new reports as soon as we can. 

If you are in immediate danger or are seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile). If you’re in an emergency situation and need police help, but can’t speak call 999 wait for the operator then press 55 the operator will then transfer the call to the relevant police force as an emergency. For non-emergency calls, dial 101.

Information on other kinds of support can be found on the Support page. Answers to questions relating to Coronavirus (COVID-19) can be found on the University’s dedicated webpages:

Protect yourself

If you are experiencing online harassment you can take the following steps to protect yourself: 
  • If the harasser is known to you, make it clear that you do not want them to contact you again
  • Do not engage with individual cyberbullies 
  • Block the accounts or individuals committing the unwanted behaviour
  • Change personal contact information such as phone numbers or email addresses
  • Make a record of the interactions and log any harassing activity with timestamps 
  • Save all the evidence of communication in electronic and in hard copy format, do not edit or alter these in any way
  • Report the incident to the university or the police 


Talking to someone and seeking support following unwanted behaviour can be difficult. If you think you or someone you know has experienced an incident of online harassment, there are a variety of report options available to students and staff. You can report unwanted online behaviour in the following ways:

Reporting at Durham University:
You can report all forms of online harassment anonymously or with contact details via this Report and Support tool (see below). You can also report online harassment from students through the procedures set out in the Respect at Study Code of Practice; and you can report unwanted online behaviour from staff through the Respect at Work policy and procedures. Cases of online sexual harassment can be reported through the Sexual Misconduct and Violence Policy and related procedures.
Reporting externally:
You can call the police on 999 to report emergencies or by calling 101 for non-emergencies.
Content linked to terrorism can be reported through https://www.gov.uk/report-terrorism  
You can report child sexual abuse content, criminally obscene adult content, and non-photographic child sexual abuse images here: https://www.iwf.org.uk/  
Hate crime including online content can be reported at: www.report-it.org.uk 
Harmful or upsetting content can be reported at: https://reportharmfulcontent.com  
If you have been the victim of fraud contact https://www.cifas.org.uk  
To report cybercrime contact www.actionfraud.police.uk/
Reporting to Social media platforms:


Please click on the headings for further information.

Internal Support for Students and Staff
Harassment Contacts
Counselling Service
Chaplaincy Service

Internal Support for Staff
Line managers
HR Business Partners and Advisors
Occupational Health

There are two ways you can report something